Sunday, July 8, 2012

Yes, This Blog is Still Alive!

I've actually started getting questions on why this blog has not been updated since February 2012. People who follow me on Twitter and here on Blogger will recall a time when I used to post weekly, but the well has long since run dry. There is really only one reason for this, and that's simply that my writing focus has been diverted, though I feel you deserve a more detailed explanation.

In March, I was brought on as a writer for a video game website called RipTen. Having done various blogs over the years and always remained independent, this was my first opportunity to write for an established site. RipTen is an independently owned and operated gaming site dedicated to publishing news stories, game reviews, special features and interviews with industry personalities. This opportunity came out of the woodwork because I have known the managing editor on Twitter for some time, and he caught wind of the fact that I'm into game writing. I was brought on, eased in gently and I have been a regular contributor ever since.

This is a move that I have not regretted. The larger audience for my writing, access to review copies of games and the possibility of attending industry events part of the media are fantastic perks. Even better, I am part of a team of very dedicated, very talented writers who believe in the site and work long, hard hours to keep the content flowing. However, being part of this also requires a few sacrifices. The time commitment you make when working for a gaming website is a more than you might think, and personal endeavours like blogging will inevitably fall by the wayside.

This leads to the next point I wanted to make, which is the future and direction of this blog. Despite my lack of recent efforts, this blog is still something I am still passionate about, and my heart's wish is to get it up and running again. My outside endeavours prevent me from committing to a minimum amount of content, but even having semi-regular posts is a step back in the right direction. I have also had a few people approach me about writing articles and reviews for this blog, and the first of those is a movie review that will be posted tomorrow (July 8).

The long-term changes I plan on making are to the name and design of this blog. "The Consuminator" is a catchy name, however it no longer reflects my goals as a writer, nor does it reflect the core focus of the blog. The design also needs a fresh coat of paint, since the "paint-by-numbers" layout that I have adhered has long since gone stale. However, my focus now is getting my blog running again and keeping the content consistent. Re-branding and re-designing the site are back burner priorities, but still very much a part of my goal.

In the meantime, if you want to follow my writing on RipTen, click HERE for my author page. To everyone reading this, a million thanks for your continued patience and support. My output may have slowed down, however I have not completely fallen off the map and this blog will come back, hopefully bigger and better than before.

Until next time, stay thirsty my friends!

Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment